It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Getting rid of Religous studies in schools
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:27 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

only a few months a lot of secular groups in the UK were taking about ditching r.e or teaching it in less depth as due it causing divisions

no swearing
no trolling
bd genreal rules
short concise answers

First person to reply get to pick what side their own

Post subject: Re: Getting rid of Religous studies in schools
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:20 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I don't see why we should debate about this, each school has its own view about religious education. And tbh, all we should know about one religion is where it's originated and how it affected the countries' culture as a whole.

If it's a religious school, like the catholic schools, then teaching in-depth about its religious is required ofc. However, Catholic schools don't need to teach too much about Buddhism, nor does a normal, non-religious students need to know much about Christianity.

if a Christian student that study in a normal school that doesn't offer in-depth Christianity, then maybe he should find another way to receive lessons about Christianity.

"classes" are put in quotation cuz Idk wat it's called

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:25 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Religion is part of history... and the present.. informing students of truths I believe is a good thing..

Check out RupertAngier's Wonderful Community Suggestions ;)
http://www.battledawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=25755

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:32 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
 WWW  YIM  Profile

RupertAngier wrote:
Religion is part of history... and the present.. informing students of truths I believe is a good thing..

well yes, if the studying involved in history lessons, or any other kind of compulsory lessons then it's a good if not needed.

I was in a non-religious school, and we studied about all the religions, even some local religions in India and Japan, as well as their affects on history and culture.

However, we don't have classes about Buddhism teaching, nor the Bible. As I said, knowing the Bible is unnecessary for a non-Christian student. All you need is a basic understanding about everything, and if u're interested, u can find a way to learn more about it urself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:13 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

aister wrote:
I don't see why we should debate about this, each school has its own view about religious education. And tbh, all we should know about one religion is where it's originated and how it affected the countries' culture as a whole.

If it's a religious school, like the catholic schools, then teaching in-depth about its religious is required ofc. However, Catholic schools don't need to teach too much about Buddhism, nor does a normal, non-religious students need to know much about Christianity.

if a Christian student that study in a normal school that doesn't offer in-depth Christianity, then maybe he should find another way to receive lessons about Christianity.

"classes" are put in quotation cuz Idk wat it's called

No i mean in manstram public schools they want to get rid of it or skim over it, by teaching r.e in all classes and by secular i mean low level poltical groups with not much influence,i diasagreewith you i live in london and teach theese thigns stop misunderunderstanding , racia ltension and help everyone live in together in a dvierse world all races

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:44 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I still don't see ur point though

teaching an atheist, who already hate Christianity, Christianity, will not make him hate it less, if any, it will make him hate it more.

wat u need, is not forcing the students to study religions, is to teach him to respect others belief. Get rid of "those who believe are good and those who don't are bad", which I believe, exists in most of religion. This is wat created the hatred and disrespect towards those who have a different belief.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:41 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

aister wrote:
I still don't see ur point though

teaching an atheist, who already hate Christianity, Christianity, will not make him hate it less, if any, it will make him hate it more.

wat u need, is not forcing the students to study religions, is to teach him to respect others belief. Get rid of "those who believe are good and those who don't are bad", which I believe, exists in most of religion. This is wat created the hatred and disrespect towards those who have a different belief.

fair enough

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:33 am 
Captain
Captain
 WWW  Profile

I am in Catholic school and an I am atheist too but often times I hear complaints from religious people about atheists not knowing or understanding their theology, specifically their scripture and teachings. I was raised in a very religious household: attending church twice a week, reading the bible in front of everybody in the church when I was 9.
Last year I studied about old and new testament scriptures, marriage and family/world religions. I read and studied the Bible as an atheist. I know the Bible better than most Christians even do.
I did all this and the entire college knew that I am an atheist and it didn't disturb them, it made them happy to see an atheist taking religious classes :P
All my classmates are good with me by the way. A gentleman if we have to say in real life an impolite kid in skype chat :P :P :P

Most Crystals: 51
Highest Power: 194
Best Score: 3320

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:45 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

no need to fight it or anything. it's big part of the world and as such, it should be good that we are educated about it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:58 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Eh idk I'm semi against pure out atheism but I guess that's another subject..

Check out RupertAngier's Wonderful Community Suggestions ;)
http://www.battledawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=25755

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next