It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Real or just Mythology? (Religion)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:31 pm 
Captain
Captain

Sylis wrote:
I agree, he is somewhat generalizing. However killing for religion is a thing of the past. Most christians are passively christians. They actually believe in science. They dont believe moses parted the water, or spoke to a burning bush. Its simply a passive belief that rests in the back of their head, from a sunday school long ago. Indoctrination keeps the belief in but the natural human brain growth prevents actual belief.

really? killing for religion is a thing of the past? it is the 12th of september today, yesterday... what 8th anniversary was that?
what about the talibans actions in afghanistan
what about the news story about the pregnant muslim woman being stabbed to death by a crazed conservative christian in i think it was germany.
perhaps i did generalize :/ but that said, im sure the bible belt says differently. there are still many christians that take their faith a step too far. be it spending $250 000 000 to combat homosexual marriage to boycotting pepsi products because they sponsor and support homosexual rights.

I EXPLODED LIKE A BOSS!

To: TheKidd
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

~Agnostic atheist pastafarian~

Discussion+debates and World Events.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:09 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major
 YIM  Profile

mr ducky i think he meant that christians killing on a large scale is over

Gate of Babylon
Top rank 18
Top alliance rank 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:58 am 
Captain
Captain

bork9128 wrote:
mr ducky i think he meant that christians killing on a large scale is over

i beg to differ, see christian and islam friction in africa. entire villages burning and maiming people in other villages and these militants from either side are exempt from the law because the law favours one side or the other.

perhaps it isnt on a large scale as some other conflicts... but you cannot deny such killing doesnt happen.

christianity has passed through most of its "destructive phase"

Islam has entered its "destructive phase"

i still dont see why people are boycotting pepsi products because they are spending 1.5 mil to fight for a minorities' rights. the opposing side is funding the battle with 250 mil of willing donations. with homosexual advocates pooling together roughly 60 mil, 70 mil tops.
while this is off topic, just thought i should bring up some negative consequences of theism 1 step too far. it is when organised religion begin to implicitly impede on people's rights. im ranting arent i? better stop. good night :D

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:25 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Well ducky there's a reason we call them 3rd world countries. It is a thing of the past, however i cant be responsible for people still living in 1950, 1850, and 1550.

Islam was born in a destructive phase. Islam was founded with the defend the religion thing. Christians are the true hypocrites. Especially with Jesus preaching of the meek inheriting the earth. It's actually pretty funny when I talk to christian friends about it. Theyll say something along the line of,"Jesus didn't mean for us to simply give up and not fight back!" I say something like,"Actually im pretty sure he did homeskillz."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:34 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I just want to ask one question,
Do you have any physical evidence that proves that God exists?
No.
And just one more question,
Is there any proof that God does not exist?
Yes, a ton of it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:39 am 
Captain
Captain

jasonxfri13th wrote:
I just want to ask one question,
Do you have any physical evidence that proves that God exists?
No.
And just one more question,
Is there any proof that God does not exist?
Yes, a ton of it.

just want to point out that "proof" is a mathematical concept. :3

you cant "prove" something in science.

you can show correlation... but never "prove"

besides the only thing going against god aka. intelligent design is unintelligent design. ie. our jaws are too small for our teeth, our wisdom tooth thingy is stupid design, our sinuses get blocked because of our flatter face and the egg can get impregnated in the fallopian tube various little things like that that show we arent well designed, but merely optimally designed for our environment which was the plains of africa and to live for 20-30 years. :/

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:28 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

This country was founded under good was it not the colonists that faced religous persecution? Does it not say one nation under God? Has our country not grown because God has been with us? I can tell you the reason the US is going through so many hardships is because we forget who has made this a mighty country,God. This isn't the only time this has happened. Many times in the bible it states mighty kingdoms falling because they thought they didnt need God. Anyone begining to see a correlation?

Thanks for teh siggy Rotag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:16 am 
Captain
Captain

Praetor Fenix wrote:
This country was founded under good was it not the colonists that faced religous persecution? Does it not say one nation under God? Has our country not grown because God has been with us? I can tell you the reason the US is going through so many hardships is because we forget who has made this a mighty country,God. This isn't the only time this has happened. Many times in the bible it states mighty kingdoms falling because they thought they didnt need God. Anyone begining to see a correlation?

this is sad... im australian and i know more about your country and its origins then you do.

Quote:
This country was founded under god was it not the colonists that faced religous persecution?
- i changed it to "god" from "good" i apologise if i misinterpret.

no. the founding fathers were deists. the VERY FIRST amendment in your freaking constitution ensured USA will never ever be a christian nation. freedom for religion, freedom from religion. if you want a theocracy, Iran is that way.

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."
—Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1758

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise, every expanded prospect."
—James Madison, letter to William Bradford, April 1, 1774

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church."
—Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794

many were deists, they believed in a higher being, but ensured religion and the country of USA were separate. sure, many were christian, but they built the foundation of USA on the notion that no religion can interfere with its workings and allow persecution to occur like what happened in britain.

Quote:
Does it not say one nation under God?

that wasnt in the pledge of allegience originally.
and like i said, many were christian, many were deists. it doesnt say which god. it might be Thor...

Quote:
Has our country not grown because God has been with us?

nope. it is from a multitude of factors including prime amounts of resources, good immigration allowing a strong working class to develop, the fact that the previous market monopolies in Europe were trashed by the 2 wars allowed USA to reign dominion with economic might and the fact that instead of fixing internal issues, USA spends almost half of the combined world's military budget
the using of puppet-like states who USA can be guaranteed good trade helped also.

Quote:
Many times in the bible it states mighty kingdoms falling because they thought they didnt need God. Anyone begining to see a correlation?

correlation doesnt always mean causation. a rock fell from a cliff in everest and an old man died in Rio. doesnt mean that everytime a rock falls, an old man dies

besides. not everyone takes the bible seriously (me) its something to do with repeated references to dragons and unicorns, demon possessed pigs and jesus smiting a fig tree cause it didnt bear fruit despite it being the dry season and figs dont bear fruit at that time of the year. 2 kings 2:23-25 is awesome :D

want to know some almighty kingdoms falling?
ALL OF THE FEUDAL ONES.
you know, the ones which DIDNT separate church and state, they dont seem to be around. on this notion and using your logic. increasing any religions influence into a government results in a country catching on fire and undergoing revolution

like i said. Iran is that way if you want theocracy.

i know im being harsh but you sound like an 8 year old who thinks his opinion is too awesome... you sound like me :D

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:21 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wow ducky i have grown from learning from ur great points to just plain out hating you............

Thanks for teh siggy Rotag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:14 am 
Captain
Captain

Praetor Fenix wrote:
Wow ducky i have grown from learning from ur great points to just plain out hating you............

that happens to everyone... EVERYONE. i have that effect on people.

-~~Retired Spammer~~-

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next